Monday 17 February 2014

MAN, AM I EVER CONFUSED!

Diagnosed at fifty with inherited  ( thanks, Dad! ) osteoporosis, I have been treated for over fifteen years with osteo meds primarily to reduce spinal fracture risk.  Osteoporosis is not to be taken lightly. Single handedly it is responsible for over 1.5 million fractures annually. I was thus relieved to have my condition discovered early and to be undergoing drug therapy.  Ooops.....don't speak too quickly, Daf. Medical research has now indicated that treatment for more than five years can result in brittle bones and femur fractures.  Spine versus femur? Hmmm?  


And to think that weekly I have delayed my morning coffee fix while these now questionable osteo meds were completely absorbed into my system.  Oh, and about that coffee....

Medical research has recently revealed that women should take periodic caffeine holidays.  You are kidding me, right? How will I wake up?  How will I function?  And why women specifically?  That's not fair, I whine.  Apparently my morning addiction may cause hot flashes, diabetes, ulcers, liver disease and breast lumps. Ah, come on!!


Oh, and speaking of breast lumps, medical research now also indicates that mammogram screenings do not reduce cancer death rates.  What?  Given that early detection of breast cancer has saved the lives of two dear friends, I strongly protest.  Experts do indicate that mammograms help uncover cases of breast cancer, but do not reduce the number of cancer deaths. Self examination, "they" say, is equally as effective.  Please, please do not tell me that years of having my breasts painfully mashed between two frigid metal plates in the presence of a total stranger were for naught, that an equally effective examination could have been performed while in the privacy and comfort of a warm shower at home.


However, for me, an annual mammogram has been a "must".  To relieve the symptoms of menopause - hot flashes, night sweats, memory loss and mood swings ( Jim was particularly fond of those ), years ago I underwent HRT, otherwise known as Hormone Replacement Therapy.  And we all know what the medical world concluded about HRT - a greater risk of heart disease, stroke, blood clots and breast cancer. Thus, my annual mammogram!  Frankly, I am beginning to believe that I am a freaky medical miracle in that I am still here.


I do attempt to take care of myself, at a minimum downing a daily dietary supplement.  But wait!  You guessed it.  "They" now state that dietary supplements have few benefits and may even prove harmful.  Overwhelmed with guilt, I must now aplogize to Christopher and Matthew for all of those formative years in which you chewed on your Flintstones Vitamins.  What have I done?


And so, I eagerly live for the day when "they" debunk all of these medical flip-flops and declare the research totally flawed. It is all just so confusing.  In the meantime I think I need a drink.  At least red wine is good......oops......hold that thought!



No comments:

Post a Comment