Thursday 10 December 2015

MY CHRISTMAS WISH FOR YOU

When it comes to Christmas music, I love Michael Buble's version of Grown Up Christmas List:

Do you remember me?
I sat upon your knee,
I wrote to you with childhood fantasies.
Well I'm all grownup now.
Can you still help somehow?
I'm not a child, but my heart still can dream.
So here's my lifelong wish,
My grown-up Christmas list
Not for myself........

The lyrics never fail to have me ask myself, And what do you wish for, Daphne? Not for yourself, but for family and friends, what do you wish?


Minus the stressful noise of every day life - traffic, iPhones, computers, demands, complaints, deadlines - I wish you time. Time for peaceful contemplation. Time to truly get to know yourself. I wish you the time to discover what makes you happy. What job, what activities, what relationships, what values allow you to be the very best version of yourself? What in your life leaves you feeling content and complete?

I wish you hope. I wish you to be solid in the knowledge that no matter what has transpired in the past, no matter what has befallen you today, your future can be whatever you determine it to be. When the world says, "Give up", hope whispers, "Try it again."

Mark Twain wrote, Travel is fatal.....to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. I wish for you the gift of travel. Be it travels across our beautiful country or travels abroad. I wish you travel that educates and delights, enlightens and enriches your perspective.

Most importantly, I wish you love. I wish that in your lifetime you may know the love of a spouse or significant other. I wish that you be surrounded by the love of family and friends. May you be blessed in the knowledge that it is not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life, who you love.

So here's my lifelong wish,
My grown up Christmas list.

Merry Christmas.






2 comments:

  1. Amazing - as I drove to my Mom's and back today I was counting my blessings. I was listening to Canadian chanteuse Celion Dion in a magnificent church somewhere with an organ and choir backing her - thank you for that beautiful and angelic voice - having seen both my sons this week and having them and my Mom for Christmas - how blessed I am - thinking of new refugees coming to such a wonderful country - and they will no longer worry about bombs, violence and living in fear - to a country that will embrace them as the people they are. To a wonderful town we live in and the people we know - Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, Margaret. Merry Christmas to you, Gary and your family.

    ReplyDelete