Saturday 28 January 2017

MY CONUNDRUM

For decades, I have suffered from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), so much so that I take prescription medication. I cannot express how distressed I felt this week to find myself, even medicated, exhibiting some SAD symptoms......agitation, anger, depression, hopelessness. Then my calmer, saner mind ran further down the symptoms list. No, I wasn't sluggish. No, I wasn't suffering from insomnia. Then what? Right in front of me, in my hands, was the answer.

Much of my time has been absorbed reading about the blowhard billionaire with the thin-skinned, powder keg personality who now calls himself President of the United States. Racism, war crimes, cruelty, anti-feminism, divisiveness, tweet diplomacy....... That hateful, ugly, cruel face haunts my dreams. If that were not enough, Mikhail Gorbachev is of the opinion that "the world is preparing for war." And looks whose finger has access to that red nuclear button! Dear God!


So now my conundrum. Do I keep on top of issues in the U.S. which so affect Canada and the world or, for the sake of my sanity, do I bury my head in the sand, remaining blissfully uninformed? No more mouthy POTUS, no more feelings of outrage, anger and disbelief. Ahhhh!


Sadly, a wise man once wrote that "the deeper you hide your head in the sand, the more defenceless is your ass." Oh, how I wish I could ignore my university political science background and the obligation to remain informed with which Keith Spicer charged his International Relations students. I haven't forgotten, sir! And therein lies the answer to my conundrum. Poor Jim will just have to get used to my angry outbursts when reading and my vocal arguments when watching the news. It's only four years.....we hope....Hon!


No comments:

Post a Comment